Australian Packaging Covenant 2013 Annual Report
Posted by GlobalPSC on Member Profiles at 5:33 pm, January 22nd, 2014Comments0
The Australian Packaging Covenant‘s 2013 annual report highlights continued improvement from previous years’ efforts. The Covenant is a co-regulatory* product stewardship scheme based on a collaborative approach between industry, government and community groups to increase recycling and reduce litter.
2013 highlights include:
- Another increase in the packaging recycling rate, from 39% in 2003 to 64.2% in 2013.
- Continued reduction in litter based on the National Litter Index.
- A record number of 925 signatories, with a 95% compliance rate.
- Improvement across all key performance indicators reported by Covenant signatories.
- A$55.4M in funding for 75 new recycling and litter related projects under the current term of the Covenant.
* co-regulatory = voluntary approach with a regulatory underpinning to address free ridersTags: Australian Packaging Covenant, co-regulatory, community groups, Covenant, government, industry, litter, members, Packaging, packaging and printed paper, producer responsibility, product stewardship, recycling