On 29 October 2013, GlobalPSC CEO Russ Martin presented as part of a professional development course on Product Registration Requirements in Asia Pacific during the Asia Pacific OH Conference 2013 in Singapore. The conference was led by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and recently-formed Product Stewardship Society (PSS).
The presentation details Australia’s National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS), which provides an integrated national approach for identifying and assessing industrial chemical entities (not products). Specific topics on NICNAS and product stewardship include:
- development, context and current structure of NICNAS, including registration and assessment requirements;
- overview of the Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS);
- prioritisation and assessment of chemicals of concern under the new Inventory Multi-tiered Assessment and Prioritisation (IMAP) process;
- interaction with producer responsibility and notification requirements including the European Commission’s REACH requirements; and
- interaction with other international counterparts.
The presentation is now available in the Knowledge Base available to GlobalPSC members, under the Chemicals and Chemical Containers category.